Skip to main content

Reply to "What would you do or have done?"

My son is a 2020 and uncommitted, so take this for what it's worth, but:  I view travel ball as being more about practicing / playing / improving than it is about getting in front of coaches.  My kid is looking mainly at high-academic schools in the northeast.  We live in NC.  His travel team has great coaching, but plays weekend tournaments mostly in the Carolinas at schools my son has no interest in (plus a couple of PG events that do attract coaches from all over).  Once in a while a coach from a school in the southeast that my son is targeting will show up at one of his games, but that's unusual.

Maybe there are some teams that target HA schools (?), but there are none in our area (and finances and family considerations wouldn't permit traveling to the northeast regularly anyhow).  Competing in travel ball makes my son a better player.  It's up to him (with an assist from his coaches and parents) to identify opportunities to get in front of schools he cares about (e.g., showcases, specific schools' camps).  His travel coaches understand his goals, and they get that he may miss some weekends to attend other events. 

There are at least a couple of other kids on my son's travel team that are in the same boat--I didn't think this was all that unusual.