Skip to main content

Reply to "What would you do or have done?"

I guess I'm a little confused.  Are you thinking that when a travel team plays, only the coaches from the school where the game is being played will attend?  That's not the case at all....heck, there's also a good chance that the HC/RC from that school may not even be there.   During my son's 15U/16U season, we played in good tourneys, but only a couple were at D1's.  We played in a big tourney, with a lot of coaches in attendance that used mostly HS fields....and another used a park with 8 fields.  The biggest tourneys in the Midwest are the Cincy Flames tourney and the tourneys at Grand Park in Indy.  The Flames use 3 or 4 D1's and 20-30 HS fields within a 90 mile radius.  We played at the Univ of Cincinnati but there was no guarantee that UC coaches would be there.  With 120+ teams in the area, they could just as easily have been out at Podunk HS watching a kid they were really interested in.  The Grand Park events had more D1 coaches than I've ever seen at any place other than the WWBA....and it's not affiliated with any college.   To think that you need to schedule your tourneys at schools that you have interest in isn't realistic.  There are 15 kids on a team, do you expect them to take a vote and majority rules?    Your son needs to be in contact with coaches of schools he's interested in and let them know WHERE he is playing and get them to come see him. If he's in a good travel org, coaches will be there to see the team...regardless of where they are playing