Skip to main content

Reply to "What would you do or have done?"

Also...  I think there is a lot to be said for being on a team and playing games for its own sake.  Granted, you want a level of competition that offers a meaningful challenge, and some travel teams don't practice together.  But my son's holds regular practices and offseason training.  If your kid is disciplined enough to train by himself all summer and just go to showcases, then he has a level of maturity and commitment that will serve him well (in baseball and in life).  But that's not my son--he will work hard at any team practice, any time; but he's not great at getting to the gym or field on his own.  Maybe more importantly, if you aren't playing on a team you miss out on a whole lot of what makes baseball worthwhile--camaraderie, life lessons, competition.  Everyone has to examine their own situation (and budget), but I think it would be pretty dull to spend a summer just training and attending showcases and camps.  Most kids who want to play in college love the game and want to play.