Skip to main content

Reply to "What Would You Say "About Committing""

@LeftyDadP9 posted:

Honest question for this thread - Is this the reality  from your personal experience?  I have a P5 LHP, and once he committed, the communication from other coaches dried up.  During his Sr year, Juco's would reach out, but to say, "hey, if that school doesn't work out, give me a call."

Yes, my son applied ED to some very academically competitive D1 schools with the Coaches assistance and positive pre-reads from admissions.   He was asked to "stay in touch" if anything changed by a couple coaches when he was notifying them of his decision.  One of those coaches was in same conference.  My son did stay in touch only as a contingency until he received formal acceptance.   

We didn't know any better at the time, but frankly I would do it again in a heartbeat.   Everything is in the favor of the school and coach, and there is very little someone can do about it if something happens on their end.  After all, you are taking the word of a Head Coach you barely know...this is a tremendous leap of faith.   

I had heard a few stories through the grapevine about some recruits who were decommitted by schools in this same conference.  As it turned out, my son played with a guy who was decommitted by one of these schools (same school my son was staying in touch with) in the conference and wound up at my son's school.   My son worked very hard on his baseball skills and academics his whole life.    We wanted a Plan B if things fell through on their end.  He had very specific reasons why he committed, and he wanted to stick with that commitment 100%.

Just my experience.....