Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Best?"

fills ...

Wasn't it the PA Capitals who had all the "fly in" players back in 13U and 14U? I loved beating them. What I hated was watching the coaches, who expected to win berate players in front of the entire park when they failed. What really ticked me off was when the coach yelled, "I can't believe you lost to them, AGAIN." and pointed at our dugout. On paper they were better. The person who started this team went to Cooperstown at 12U and rounded up the best talent willing to get to Reading or Allentown PA on weekends. They were coming from hundreds of miles away. He financed hotels and food for families.

After losing the semis to fills' son's team we stayed for the finals (I even remember it was Rotary Park). I'm sitting with one of the Capitals player's parents (we didn't sit with no stink'n Arsenal parents Smile in those days **). The championship game started about 7:30. The parents were moaning they had a four drive back to Long Island after the game and it was a school night (early June).

** I would have sat with fills. I didn't know him then. I didn't like Arsenal at the time over a condescending comment a parent made about my 5'2", 115 pound (at the time) son before the semi game. My son towers over this parent's kid now.
Last edited by RJM