Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Best?"

I understand about the if he's not good enough to play he'll sit the bench. But, again I'd like to state that these other boys have all hit puberty and have man-like bodies. My son at 12 still hasn't hit puberty, but has a lot of skill. I'm a single mom (his dad died at age 4)and had no idea that his talent was what it is until I started getting stopped in parking lots after games by other coaches and was told that he had something special. I don't want him to lose that "something special" because I made wrong decisions for him. I also know that I can't control it all. He is a lot smaller than these other boys, but even so, was INVITED to play on this team. We did not seek them out....they contacted us (recruited him). He does play, just not at the positions he was used to playing, and sitting sometimes is something new to him. Also, this team has an original CORE of about 6 players and two "fly-ins". The coaches say that what he doesn't have in size he makes up for in speed. The boys have nicknamed him FREAKY because of his "freaky" baserunning. He has a great attitude about it.....when getting on the team I tried to prepare him for the kind of talent that was on the team and that he would not be the "star" anymore. He said that he'd work hard to earn his spot. I just don't think he can right now because of a size issue. Not to say these other boys aren't talented (they are), but combine size with talent and he's at a disadvantage right now. He works very hard. Hits off a tee in the garage EVERY night for an hour or more, runs sprints on his own, he has a "work-out routine" he's made up for himself. He's also always been the leader on the team. Never cocky....always bringing the whole team up. His coaches have said he has that "something" you can't teach....drive, competitiveness...ability to lead. Anyway...like I told him....he WILL grow one day and if he continues to develop his skills and work hard he'll be okay. Just wanted to know what kind of team was best for right now. Like I've said....have heard conflicting opinions regarding this. Have heard that he needs to play on most competitive team possible, but most of you say that its more important that he play and get in lots of practice. When you have a team where players are flown in it really takes away from the whole "TEAM" aspect of the game. I'm just not sure this is best at this age, and it's certainly not as FUN!!! Thanks everybody!
Last edited by PlayWithHeart