Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Best?"

quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
They don't fly them in RJM, but kids show up in the program year after year in HS, college and the pros. If you aren't the best at your position you are gone. Nothing else matters but who is the best at their position. Just like highly competitve travel teams. If you don't like the competition, don't play with teams that do that kind of thing. Not saying it is a good thing or a bad thing, but every kid and every parent on the teams that fly in kids know that it can and will happen.

Makes for a highly competitve atmosphere. Which leads me back to HS, college, and the pros. No guarantees, no daddy ball.

Just be the best or be replaced. Life lesson time.

I've never heard of a high school team bringing in players from other areas to play one or two games.

I am pretty sure NCAA rules prohibit bringing in mercinary players to take positions in games as well. I have never heard of players on high school teams being kicked off of teams for a week while some kid from another school district comes in and plays for them.

Bringing in ringers to win games teaches kids that they are expendable and that the concept of team is nothing but that.

Baseball at this level should be more than just playing a game. It is supposed to teach kids life lessons about teamwork and comittment. Baseball gives kids the opportunity to contribute their best to help the team to win. In addition a team gives a child a change to be part of something. What other game is there where a kid can be called a hero for doing something a simple as putting down a sacrifice bunt?

I'm all for winning; I constantly drill my son on the need to put forth every effort possible to win but I'm sorry, bringing in ringers and kicking kids off of teams just to get that win doesn't breed competition. It just gives kids the idea that they are of no value and can be replaced at the drop of a hat.