Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Best?"

quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
quote:
After watching his playing send a dedicated team member to the bench I decided it wasn't right

Then the team wasn't a true fly in team. Those teams know it can happen and are prepared for it. How do you think the kids got on the team and their spots in the first place.

It sounds more like your son was filling in on a local team that had been around a while. That can be a problem.
He was invited to play on a very reputable/highly ranked 14U team. He was better than their shortstop. This team ultimately met it's demise utilizing too many "fly ins". Most of them returned to their teams. Why should they walk out on their current teams? What about loyalty? Players leave teams at the end of the season, not abandon them in the middle of the season. The only thing the coach accomplished was ticking off his team.

Most of this cr@p goes away by high school. Most showcase coaches are into helping their players, not screwing them (except the example I mentioned earlier).

I'll still stick with Coach May's philosophy of building a team and developing mutual loyalty and respect between players and coaches. I wouldn't want teammates and coaches who don't have my back.

Over and out.
Last edited by RJM