Skip to main content

Reply to "What's going on?"

I am going to play devils advocate her for a moment.

quote:
If you assaulted someone at your job you would be fired and most likely prosecuted.
The excuse its FAMILY, well if you assault someone in your family again NOT GOOD (people go to jail for that)

The above is mostly true. It is a bit of apples and oranges comparison in my opinion. At most jobs, one doesn't travel, eat, shower after work together Red Face, etc. In that way it is more like a family than a job. I don't know about anybody else on this board, but my brother and I used to fight like cats and dogs and were very competitive. Competition oft times leads to confrontation in physical endeavors. It always has. Dugout confrontations are as old as baseball itself. Do I condone it? No. I do understand the emotions running high. It is really hard to compare to a typical work situation. JMO

quote:
Quit making excuses for these guys. Theyre under pressure for a pennant race BIG DEAL they are being paid millions of dollars to be under pressure.

There is a difference between making excuses and explaining the behavior. For the record, they are paid to perform the game of baseball. Dealing with pressure at the big league level is a learned behavior.

quote:
There is no excuse to physically attack someone we are by making excuses telling our young boys that its ok to act out in your anger. It is never ok to act out in anger.
These people are paid by the public you and I by buying tickets and supporting MLB. They need to clean up their acts. Id rather see a bunch of young hungry guys and dump all these guys that think they have no rules to follow. They are not on a higher level than any of us.

Agreed, it is never ok to act out in anger. I don't believe the actions lead to telling boys it is ok unless parents are not doing their job.

If I want to see a bunch of hungry young guys, I will watch a minor league game. I want to pay to see the best of the best.

Nobody says they are on a higher level than us. However, traditionally it is handled in sport unless so agregious as to warrant criminal penalties. I suggest you take that up with the D.A. or lawmakers.

quote:
I have pressure, we all have pressure. My husband has been through stuff at work where at times he could of hit somebody, but we cant. Its violence and there is never an excuse.
Im so tired of this well they are different they are under pressure, with the public scrutiny etc. well if the fires too hot get out. theyr are plenty of hardworking young men that can take their spots.

I understand your sentiments. I used to work at one of the busiest car dealerships in the south and there was immense pressure and competition and numerous confrontations. In a pressure cooker win at all costs environment, it happens. These are go getters and aggressive salesmen and if you cannot keep up, get out of the way. If you jumped someone's customer and got the commission, be prepared. Never once was anybody arrested. If they were low producers they would get fired not arrested. Top producers were given a slap on the wrist. Not every work environment is in a vacuum.

quote:
A fan gets a ball thrown at him because there is a brawl and he cant control his temper. BYE BYE bring in the next guy.
We wonder why are kids dont think they are accountable, we put these sports guys on freaking pedestals. they are paid professionals and if they cant handle that then fire all of them. Im getting quite sick of it. nad its not just in baseball.

Bringing fans into it always gets the law into it. He was fired for throwing the ball into the stands and arrested. He was accountable. If kids think they are not accountable blame the parents who raise them, not baseball.

Your anger does mirror the feelings of many. It is in all of society, not just baseball.