Skip to main content

Reply to "What's going on at Western Carolina University?"

Let me begin by saying that playing baseball at Western Carolina University was the best decision I have made in my life (next to marrying my wife, who I met at Western after I chose to transfer there to play baseball for Coach Raleigh for the SECOND TIME). I was a member of a top-25 recruiting class compiled by Coach Raleigh at a different Division I school. For whatever reasons, I chose to leave that school and attend Western Carolina. From Day One, Coach Raleigh preached about the rich tradition of Western baseball and the pride that came with wearing the Catamount uniform. There is no doubt in my mind that we worked as hard, if not harder, than any team in the country. For those of you who have had the priviledge of playing for Coach Raleigh, ( and I am not talking about the fathers who spend there lives living through there sons, or the guys that left due to a lack of playing time, or the guys that could not handle their business off the field) you know exactly what I am talking about. Players at Western are a different breed. The respect we have for each other and the unbreakable bond that we shared did not exist at the first university I attended. To this day there is no doubt that I would do anything for each and everyone of those guys. This attitude was instilled in us by Coach Raleigh. Not a day goes by when I do not think of my days playing for Coach Raleigh. I have never respected a man more than my head coach. I find myself attempting to mirror many of his philosophies in different aspects of my life on a daily basis. So, to all of you people that feed off of the gossip and ridiculous rumors of .."he said, she said" do me a favor and talk to any one of his former players that actually carried out the job. Talk to the guys that practiced in the snow, the guys that worked out at 6am, the guys left everything thing on the field for their head coach. Not the guys that were mad about playing time, or the guys that complain to mom and dad. The problem now a days is accountabiity and responsibility. I am proud to say that I now have that because I played for Coach Raleigh. There has never been a more honest man whether you like or not. Coach Raleigh's honesty made me a better man and I could not be more grateful. And just one more thing...There is no question that the Western North Carolina area has great youth and high school baseball. Just remember that Coach Raleigh is respected nationally as a great recruiter. Believe it or not, there are other players outside of the area. Get the facts from real players, not the bitter scared ones that couldn't hack it.