Skip to main content

Reply to "What's the average income for a minor leaguer?"

StarDad,
Welcome to the HSBBW, I am not sure if your post is for real or not.

Let's see, after taxes, social security, medicare (his check was drawn from NY State for last summer and NY state taxes are high) every two weeks his check was like 400 something. With free room, most of his money went for food and whatever he needed. On positive note, for each level you move up one gets a bonus (1000) and a 5000 bonus when you reach MLB. You do not make any real substantial money until you reach the 40 man roster, which could take years.
You are only paid for the months you play, if you are called for fall instruction you get expenses only, meals and lodging, and same for spring training.

I am not really sure what people think that minor leaguers make, but it ain't a whole lot. Let's call it apprentice pay. The object is to try to position yourself in a decent slot in the draft to get some bonus money to live on, for a few years until something does or doesn't happen. Many minor leaguers work in the off season. If you are a HS grad only, you might find yourself at minimum wage, college grads or those with 3 or more years of college might find better employment. If you are in a position to help your son out during those months without pay, that's wonderful, but I know that my husband would not be in a position to support a 22 year old baseball player. One of the websters here was telling us the other evening about a minor leaguer working for his dad digging ditches in off season.

I am curious as to why you think that your son might be drafted after HS? Because he's good? By the time he gets to be a senior, there will be plenty more "good" players throughout the country your son will have to compete with. You most likely will be shocked to find out, that your son maybe just another good baseball player that was a super star where he came from but average to the rest of the country. There is no way you can predict what your son will be like at 17,18,19or what his velocity may be. If you are looking for an Arod type of deal for your son, my suggestion is to change your direction and concentrate on him heading for college before you dream about him reaching pro baseball and making a windfall of $$ out of HS, even college.
Last edited by TPM