Skip to main content

Reply to "What's the average income for a minor leaguer?"

Not saying the pay is poor and the physical demands horrendous (hours worked, overnight bus rides, etc.), but my son figured out he is being paid less per hour than the migrant farm workers his team bus passed on the way to a game.

Of course, I pointed out, nobody asked them for autographs at the end of their workday Wink.

During instrux, he was in the same hotel as the Chinese National Team. The Chinese team was appalled at the Life of a Minor Leaguer stories the guys were telling!

It's early days for you to be dreaming about the first round, and I hope you're not conveying any of that to your son. A Star in any one place is the proverbial Big Fish; you'll know more through showcases (though perhaps you've already done that). I'm presuming he's on a travel team. Remember, he's not competing with the players in your area or even all of Missouri; he's competing with the entire country in the draft. And much of the rest of the world for minor league slots.

Check out the rest of the site for loads of superb info for Newbies. For example, Odds of playing College/Pro About 1% of all hs/college ballplayers are drafted; 2% of that 1% go in the first round.

Despite all of this, guys are lined up for the job. Not for the Big Bucks, but for the love of the game.
Last edited by Orlando