Skip to main content

Reply to "Whats the reality of a 2018 player walking onto a D1 Team?"

A mid major is unlikey to lose players to the draft. So roster spots are unlikely become available due to the draft. The larger programstend to over recruit and screw players if they don’t lose players to the draft. Sometimes a roster spot becomes available due to a player’s last minute decision not to return in the fall or an injury in summer ball. Assuming theres an available roster spot catchers probably have the second best chance to walk on after late blooming pitchers. But D1’s are limited to thirty-five roster spots. I wouldn't just show up.

I would keep working the coaching staff until the decision is made. A catcher may not be rostered. But he coukd be a bullpen catcher warming ip pitchers. I know of a kid who did this for two hears before being asked to join the team as a third catcher. He didn't play much. He wanted to be part of an ACC program. Personally i would rather get in the lineup at a lower level.

Since he was on a club team chances are he’s had his exposure and he was recruited to the right place. If baseball matters that much i would take the sure thing over the long shot. 

Last edited by RJM