Skip to main content

Reply to "Whats the reality of a 2018 player walking onto a D1 Team?"

I have very limited data, just from what son told me last year.  Son played at mid-D1 for 3 years.  During that time there were 6-8 walk-on.  None of them made it past the first cut.  I know of at least 2 of them who were "all-league" from high school.  A personal friend of ours has a son who wanted to go to a private D3 school.  School wanted him for baseball real bad.  Only problem is that even with academic money and some grants, parents would have to pony up around $30K/year, which was too expensive.  The son went to a mid-D1 as a preferred walk-on.  He made the team, pitched 2 innings in 2 games, end of story.  Following year HC made him redshirt.  Next year he was cut, finished out the semester, transferred to JC for a semester.  2017 transferred to a very competitive JUCO baseball program, has done so-so.  Now talks about going back east to lower D1 program for 2018/2019.  In my mind he is spending just as much, if not more, now than what it would have cost to go to the private D3.  Go to where you will get a good education and some baseball love that fits your son.