Skip to main content

Reply to "Whats the reality of a 2018 player walking onto a D1 Team?"

I have questions, with the qualifier that: Yes, I know there are always rare exceptions.

Why would you want to walk on at a D1?  Just to brag that you "played" D1?  Don't you want to go where they want you?  Where you know you have a reasonable chance to actually play?  Is this a matter of Baseball being a low priority for you, and you want to go to a school mostly for the academics?  Then why would you go through the immense amount of work it takes to be on a D1 team if you aren't going to play?

I guess it could be pretty cool to be on the bench of an SEC team or a major D1 team that goes to the College World Series etc, but the chances of a walk on even being on the travel squad is really remote.

I could see someone who is a Baseball lifer who knows he won't go very far  as a player, who wants to be a coach, going to a specific D1 to learn from the coaching staff.  

But a player wants to play.   I really think it'd be a far more rewarding experience being in the starting lineup at a D3 than sitting the bench and never getting an at bat at a D1.

If you are a "late bloomer", why not go to a JUCO first and work on developing for another year or two?

As I said, I've got questions....