Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Wrong With Youth Sports Today? The Adults!"

enias,
I was addressing the content of the referenced article by Dr. Gerty where he suggest allowing children to manage their own sporting events and for parents (adults) to back off.
quote:
But how will our children manage without adults supervising their athletic activities? Quite well, thank you. Studies contrasting spontaneous youth play versus youth sport organized by adults indicate that children, if left to their own devices, will successfully organize, administer, and manage their own games. They will choose sides and mediate disputes. They will set their own rules. In some cases, those rules may change from game to game. But they will be rules that work for the children. Children will handicap the game to make sure it is evenly matched, interesting, and fun. Such organizational, mediating, and interpersonal skills are valuable characteristics that children are not permitted to develop when adults organize and administer their games.

From the topic heading, What's Wrong With Youth Sports Today? The Adults!, I would assume this is the subject.?? I use the simple task of a child mowing grass as an example comparing unsupervised activity vs. supervised activity. There are rewards resulting from supervised activities that go beyond the shallow instant gratification associated with just goofing off. Smile
Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.