Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Wrong With Youth Sports Today? The Adults!"

I was president of our local little league a few years ago. Although I no longer have a child in the program, I went this morning to help with try outs. I had to leave. Just couldn't take what I was watching going on. It was more about parents fighting over who would coach what team, who would get to draft in what order etc., etc.

We have a whole generation of kids that don't get to be kids. Too much is supervised and orchestrated for them by the parents and too much of the time it is all about the parents. I agree that there are times that some supervision helps, but unsupervised time is fast becoming a thing of the past.

The one thing I watch with fascination is as the kid's grow up and reach high school and the parents can't control things any longer and just freak out. I don't know how anyone is a high school coach any longer with the pressure parents try to bring to force the situation to be the way they want it and that includes physical violence, lawsuits and every thing in between to force the coach's hand.

At the bottom line, talent wins out, the kids that can really play move on and all the manipulation that parents try to impose ends up for naught.

There is no question that there are some well meaning people, without whom the youth sport leagues could not exist, but boy are they getting to be outnumbered.
Last edited {1}