Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Wrong With Youth Sports Today? The Adults!"

Well if you ask almost any kid who quits playing it would be because they arent having fun. The bottom line is you cant make a kid have FUN. Sure the leagues need to promote an environment of fun and I beleive the majority of them do.Playing time should be abundant for everyone. But fun is a state of mind, and if your not very skilled and dont play well it wont be a lot of fun. The probelm with rec league sports is this. You usually have about 3 to 4 decent ball players per team, the rest of the players is made up of average rec league players. The players who are the top 3 and 4 recieve a lot of praise and critisism. They usually are the leaders. The rest, in my opinion are very passive and followers. The problem is Junior is mostly ok with this role but from my experience, moms and dads dont do so well with it. They feel that junior taking on his role as a player is a sign that the coach is hurting the kids self esteeem making him play left field or outfield. Well somebody's got to play outfield. So because junior palyed left field or right feild moms or mostly dads belly ached in front of the kid all the way home after the game about how bad hes being treated. That Billy Bob sucs and cost us the game at 2nd, Junior shoulda been there. Kids get stressed out over it. They get pulled between 2 authority figures, Parents and coaches. Its not enough that they have to deal with playing but with the emotional part as well. And lets face it humiliating yourself 2 nights a week in front of the local little league crowd can hurt your self esteem too and make u wanna quit. So, I say if the kids wanna quit theres a reason and It may not be a problem with the coaches or parents. Sometimes the kids are scared to death of the ball and use the excuse that its not fun to me to keep from being teased. So, I know this is rambling but kids quiting youth sports is to complex to label it. So stop it.

Get a good pitch to hit!!!!