Skip to main content

Reply to "What's Wrong With Youth Sports Today? The Adults!"

What's this all about? Paying Umpires in Little League? When I was Umpire in Chief of our Little League (the one sanctioned by Congress) there was a rule the the league could not pay for fields (Maintenance fees are diff.)or Umpires!

Definition:

Politics - A parents feeling that for some reason (real or perceived) thier player is being treated unfairly by someone in authority.

Playing time - Is my player a "starter".

Fair - A perception that things are "as they should be".

Unfair - The exact opposite of the above.

Select Team - A reason to make yourself feel special about your son. You're elite, above average, love the game more, get better instruction, more games or better competion. This will exclude your player from his peers. The ones that don't play for a "select" team will feel jelous of the one who does (perception: I'm as good as he is! I could make that team too). This can cause the above to happen!

Comment:

The fact that young people do not feel included, could be a reason for the decline of the game. They need to be included in the outcome of the contest, all aspects of it. By playing with their "buddies" they feel included. Remember the active word is "PLAY".

Last edited {1}