Skip to main content

Reply to "When an outing doesn't go as hoped"

So, I think you need to focus on the positive not the negative.   Attitude is everything especially in baseball.   My son picked his high school (which ended up being a huge boost academically), unfortunately his high school baseball  team was not among the best in a very competitive baseball region that has many, many kids commit to D1 schools every year.   It was a similar story in college....he picked the college and always tried to do his best on the field.   In college there is going to be serious competition for playing time, setbacks, and injuries.   You can't focus on the negative.   Sure my son had his moments when he could do no wrong and but also when he could do no right.  He got over it quickly, and learned from it.

I think one of the most misleading stats in baseball is Wins and Losses.  Starting pitchers can do everything right and still lose a game.   I've seen it many times.   The team, and the people that understand baseball know this.   If your son competes on the mound, demonstrates composure, and has good stuff....he'll get noticed.   If there were college coaches or scouts in the recent showcase stands try to get some feedback from them directly or through the travel coach about his performance.  We had a number of college coaches who saw my son pitch 3,4,5 times before finally reaching out.  I don't think it will change things but I think you'll quickly realize they don't care about wins/losses in a travel game or showcase it is about how your son projects at the next level.

Good luck!  As always, JMO.

PS....I saw one of Goosegg's son first college career starts @VCU.  He's not kidding, he had a live arm.  ;-)