Skip to main content

Reply to "When Are You Really Committed?"

I don't really see what the alternatives are.  If you want to play at a P5, they make decisions mostly freshman year to  summer after sophomore year.  A few in Junior year, but that's not the majority.  They don't hold spots forever so what do you do with those offers?  I'm with Go44dad.  If the right school offers, you take it.  Then you work your butt off to be ready and able to play once you are on campus.  If you think the pressure is off once you commit, it isn't, you just worry about the next thing.  Will they stay healthy? How will they stack up with the other recruits at the school.  We had several offers we weren't sure on so we waited, but when a school offered that checked all the boxes, he took it.  It up to the families to research how stable the coaches are and if it is a program you feel you can trust.  I feel like if my son does his job and keeps working hard, there is no reason he won't sign his NLI. Maybe that's naive.  We 100% stress to him that nothing is guaranteed and you have to work harder now than you ever have.  Now you have to earn play time.