Skip to main content

Reply to "When did you know?"

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Lesson learned - You just never know how things will turn out. However, they are all very special! Not once did I ever think about any of them having "IT".

Great point.

I just sent this in a pm to my dear friend lafmom the other day but I believe it applies here:

I'll never forget how my baseball playing son's (Tyler) baseball began. My wife went to sign Beau (my oldest son) up at the fire hall and of course had to tug Tyler along with her as he was a few months shy of his 4th birthday. When Tyler found out he was not getting signed up too he sobbed so badly that everyone at the fire hall felt sorry for him and they made an exception for him and put him on Beau's team. That started a pattern where any coach that picked Beau was automatically getting Tyler Big Grin That first year, Tyler would draw pictures in the sand when he played in the field. He could always hit. He would hit but stand there at home admiring what he had done. All the parents would be screaming, run Tyler, run Tyler... all the while running down the line pointing where to go. After a few years, coaches figured out that they were getting a huge bonus when they picked Beau for their team because they automatically got Tyler. They would play Tyler at short and Beau at second and hardly ever lose a game as both of them pitched as well. At 10 years old, Tyler was the best player in Beau's 12 year old league.

I think back how much fun and innocent all that was. Travel ball kind of corrupted the innocence of things and took some of the fun out of it for me but Tyler never let it rob him of his joy which he carries with him until this day. I am convinced that the whole key to the puzzle is joy. I think Tyler's joy goes back to that day in the fire hall when they made an exception for him.