Skip to main content

Reply to "When did you know?"

It is very interesting to see these answers - and how different people approach it in different ways.

Thats the best part IMO.

For me - as a parent - I never really thought about whether either son had "IT". All I thought about was the next game - and when it was over - I hoped they would get a chance to play one more game.

I still feel that way deep down.

I think part of it is because I grew up with this game - and I know how fickle it can be. I think another part of it - as a parent - is because I watched my eldest play - and he was never considered to be a special player.

It seemed like no matter what he did - some "expert" would helicopter in and say he wasnt anything more than a mediocre player. A decent player.

As time went on - he kept doing real good - and the media and the "experts" kept saying the same thing. In fact - in many cases - he wasnt even mentioned at all. Personally - I think that is the best way to go - stay anonymous - play well and help your team win games.

No "IT" stuff - just baseball.

And when the season is over - all the blowhard "experts" will be gone - they will be on to their next "five-tool - high ceiling nonsense" - and they will leave you alone.

No "IT" stuff - just the player - with sincere hopes of another game and maybe even another season.

Simplistic approach - probably - and I know I rambled a bit here - but to me - it isnt about predictions - or media hype - its just about performing and winning - and hopefully getting the opportunity to keep playing tomorrow.