Skip to main content

Reply to "When did you know?"

I know exactly when I knew my son had IT ! I will get to that in a second.

The journey began with my son when at 4 years old we went to the local park for sign ups with the intent of getting his older brother playing. See Dad after seeing he had boys could not wait till they could both play. We had the plastic t-ball set, plastic gloves and safety balls. They were the first gifts I bought for each of my sons when they were born. They were going to play baseball whether they wanted to or not because it was in my blood. We played catch in the back yard often and both boys even though awkward they enjoyed playing catch with daddy. When we signed my eldest up the person taking the registration asked if my youngest wanted to play as well. I had prepared him for the fact that he was not able to play yet because he was too young. We told the lady that we didn't expect him to be old enough and that thanks but no thanks. With the encouragement of my eldest son and the tears in my youngest we changed our minds so began the journey.

Between picking daisy's watching the planes fly over head and making them selves dizzy spinning in circles they each has the advantage of being able to catch and throw better than most because of the backyard games we had been playing. Our league started off as coach pitch 4-6 and both boys could also hit. Who remembers, running backwards around the bases? crying because they didn't want to play that day? calling time out for pee breaks? maybe the infamous quadruple play? Who here would not love to go back to those days? Anyway they both played all-stars those three years. Then moved to kid pitch for 7-8 year olds. Here my older son just loved the social aspect of playing ball and his last year was at 8. He played some other sports till about 13.

My youngest however continued to excel sometimes seemingly without effort. Could pitch without walking 8 in a row and could still hit. Many times though he initiated the dad lets go practice please requests. You could see he liked playing but.... On to the next level he continued to get better, continued to get selected for Travel/Tournament teams. Did I see it yet? Nope but I did see a special player that if he worked a little harder he could continue to play as long as he wanted. Moving up I remember the anxiety he and I felt his freshman year trying out for the school team. It was a big school over 2400 students and I had been prepping him to be ready if he didn't make the team he would be ok. I expected him to make JV (No freshman team) but wanted him to be ready if he didn't. At each cut day I saw the smile he came home with but cautioned him to not be to excited. So was the smile he showed me the IT factor? Nope. He Made the varsity team and started every game either as a pitcher or OF.

We/He played for a fall wood bat team all thru HS after our summer schedule for a former Pro player, who had several former Pro buddies across the country. They met up Just before Christmas in Bradenton Fla on the Spring MLB fields for 4 days or round robin play. Because he was invited to play on this team and told by that coach that he felt he could play pro ball because of his bat. Was that the it moment? Nope. Was seeing 5-15 scouts college and pro come to his senior HS games the IT moment? Nope Was getting drafted out of HS in 2002 as a LHP the IT moment? Nope. Was going off to college and becoming a starting pitcher as a freshman the IT moment? Nope.

He had the tools, the drive, the will to play baseball maybe to the highest level but left college for personal reasons in his sophomore year in 2003

My IT moment came not for any accomplishment he had had, Not for any trophy or plaque hanging up or on the shelf, Not for any team he made.Not for any home run or shutout. I knew he could play, knew he wanted to compete, knew others saw more than I when it came to talent(IT).

My IT moment for me came when at 25 years old after being out of school and not picking up a baseball in 6 years he called his mother and I, and asked if he could come home and live with us. That he wanted to return to school and finish his education with hopes of being able to play ball again.

P.S.Great GPA this time around and a conference starter. But more importantly he has become a great young man ! He has IT !
Last edited by Former Member