Skip to main content

Reply to "When did you know?"

My son was a "late bloomer". That was compounded by a myopic youth coach. This coach had a habit of making decisions based on first looks. Many of us do that, but this man then continued to look at players 3 and 4 years laters as he did the first time.

Consequently, despite hard work and improvement, many kids did not get the opportunity to demonstrate that they had improved year to year and those who were "natural" players or just bigger and better at the outset, continued to get playing time, even those who had not improved.

My son first played for this coach in 4th grade and because of the way the league worked, was assigned to his team through 8th grade. He worked his butt off in the cages and fielding drills with me, but still rode the pine.

Finally, when he entered high school there was a new coach at the frosh level who had not seen any of the incoming players. Everyone had to try out.

Short story, my son made the team while several of the "better" players from his previous team, including the coach's son, did not.

I was impressed that with all the discouragement, he stuck to baseball and he stuck to hardwork. He knew he was a better player each year, but he didn't whine about his situation, he just decided that he needed to get even better.

After his freshman year he said, "Dad, I love baseball, but I'm not going to be able to keep up much longer." (His self evaluation was correct.) "So, Dad, can I umpire?"

I remember, I assume, with the same pride you folks have when your sons get drafted, when he was offered his pro contract after umpire school. He is now working AA MiLB and, if hard work, study and dedication to his performance are enough, he may be in the show some day. Regardless, he set a goal and chased his dream and is already in the top 1% of umpires in the country. He could get released tomorrow and I would still be as proud of him as I was when he made the freshman team.