Skip to main content

Reply to "When Did You Stop Paying Attention?"

Francis, are you obsessive? Is it possible you need more interests outside baseball?

To answer your question I followed players on my son’s teams in classes below him. However, when he graduated out of those levels (high school, college) I didn’t follow the other players in those leagues. Once those players passed through my level of interest receded to a “the team won that’s nice or the team lost that’s too bad” level. Any of the players he played with or against on a regular basis that went on to pro ball I’ve followed.

Given my son is now twenty-eight most of the pro players I’ve tracked have ended their careers or are likely close to it. Covid finished several careers given they were on the cusp beforehand. A few have made it to the majors.

I was never interested in fantasy baseball. Once through playing in college I picked up two man beach volleyball. I played year round. Plus I went to grad school at night.

I returned to playing baseball in an adult league at forty-four. I still had it. The problem was playing with mostly guys (former D1’s, some had gone pro) in their mid twenties winning baseball games was still life and death with them. I was in another place mentally. I competed hard. But when the game ended winning and losing didn’t seem like a big deal

Last edited by RJM