Skip to main content

Reply to "When did your son make/start varsity?"

Back when my son was a freshman the dad of another talented player asked if I thought our boys could make varsity. I had been coaching his son for four years at that point. The varsity was weak when they were in 8th grade. I told the dad our boys are good enough to make varsity but it might not be in their best interest. My reasoning was while they were good enough to compete for positions on their varsity team, they would struggle in games against the competition.

They were the last two cut from varsity. I think the coach just wanted them working out with the varsity as long as possible. The varsity stunk again. The JV team had a very good year.

Soph year our boys made varsity (mine opening day. his soon after). They were ready, confident and had an impact on the team's first winning season in several years. Junior year they were major impact players for the first conference title in twenty years.

Had they been overwhelmed freshman year who knows how soph year would have gone. As it worked out they were on the first back to back winning teams in twenty years.
Last edited by RJM