Skip to main content

Reply to "When did your son make/start varsity?"

OK, time for me to chime in. Congrats to all parents and their players that had a chance to play ball in HS! My #1 made varsity as a sophmore and started as a sophmore. He started in LF where he played every game. He helped them to a 4A State Championship. He also played every game as a Jr as they won back to back State Championships. Sr year was #2 pitcher and went 5-1 with a 2.37 ERA and lost as a Sr pitching to the eventual State Champs last year.He was given a scholarship as an outfielder. #2 son is a freshman this year and has a chance to play varsity. I also have mixed feelings about him starting as a freshman. 1B or 3B or C. I would feel better if he would play JV instead. I believe it's alot of pressure for a freshman to play at that level mentally. First, handling the upperclassman.Second, the let down of striking out among piers and dealing with a slump at 14 or 15yrs old.Third, as Ryanrod23 and others mentioned, sitting the bench when they are allways being in the lineup every game. Sure the practices will be more intense and at a higher level. But getting the AB's and playing time in game time situations is where you develope the most.IMHO Good post and inlightening.