Skip to main content

Reply to "When discussing Draft....What is Leverage"

Eokerholm posted:

OK, I'll ask. New HS parent here and people are talking about the Draft and leverage.

Could someone help explain what that is/means?

I've heard best leverage is out of HS, then Junior and then Senior in College....

Is that because the MLB Team has to entice you 1) to not go to college and 2&3) to not return to college your senior year and then they have you by the "short hairs" after your senior year and wouldn't have to pay you as much? 

Yes to your last  paragraph.  But $$$ is the leverage. A 100% paid scholarship is more leverage than 50%. A scholarship to Vandy is more leverage than a walk on to a P5 program.  

In all cases the HS player will have the better option. To the 3rd year player, the team most likely will cover the last year and you will get paid slot $$. There is essentially no leverage for a graduating senior or one with a few more credits to go. 

Be aware that the ML Scholarship plan is a joke.

In the end it's all about opportunity.  Son had an opportunity to get drafted in a 5th or 6th round in HS, team would not cover for the 90% out of state scholarship, only for instate.  Going to school for 3 years, was his best leverage as he became a 2nd round pick.  The college baseball years are priceless.

I am not a big proponent of 17, 18 year olds going to college because most people have no clue about what actually it all entails.  A discussion for another day.

As far as the statement being really really good, most picks are based on projections. That's why you will see a lot of late round picks get to MLB, they just don't project well from the beginning.  A great example, Big City Matt Adams. A 23 round pic from Slippery Rock University.