Skip to main content

Reply to "When discussing Draft....What is Leverage"

I suppose every case is different. (Like HSBBWEB talks similarly about "recruiting journeys). Well in HS son got very few glances from the pro side, though some found his speed intriguing. I think he was asked to complete questionnaires for 2 or 3 teams.  During his junior of college, we started recognizing specific teams at some of his games.  Solid first three years of college, and was a starter from the outset.

Then his senior year preconference, he had "the series" against a top 5 program ( 7/11, 2 doubles, 5 SB, and 2-3 highlight plays at SS. ). His name was out there and the opposing coach raved about RipkenFanson on twitter and in post game interviews.  All told about 20 teams expressed interest before draft, 3 of which were most "serious." 

One of the most common questions son got during interviews with scouts, was "Why didn't you go last year?, " to which his mom privately would tell him "So he can get his degree!" It worked for him- and his current organization has been great. Looking back, my son and I talk about at least 5-6 awards/recognition he wouldn't have gotten or had a chance to receive, had he not returned senior year, including Captain of the baseball team.  Now he can give this baseball thing his all (as he has been and enjoying it) knowing he has a fall back option. Again, maybe not "leverage" but for him the best outcome occurred.