Skip to main content

Reply to "When discussing Draft....What is Leverage"

Eokerholm posted:

Question for @collegebaseballinsights

How many 1st time draftees are seniors in college?  

How many draftees are juniors in college? 

how many draftees that were drafted at juniors but returned, drafted as seniors? 

would be interesting to see this to understand what the true numbers are.

tomorrows NCAA decision should be interesting .... 

One D2 pitcher that I know was offered money as a junior but the school cost more than offered and teams weren't going to pay  50k for 2 semesters for him to finish school.  He was drafted the following year as a senior and actually was offered a nice signing bonus in a nice round as a senior and walked away with degree in hand. He was a second day draftee.

I know of several D2 pitchers that were drafted as seniors because they were out as juniors due to injury. I think that you will find that happens often.  I also know a few seniors who were just late  round pitchers on the last day of the draft.  And one guy who was one of the best closers in D1 not drafted at all because of his unusual delivery signed as a FA with Boston and more than likely will get pretty far if he continues to get guys out. 

I am not as familiar with position guys, but junior catchers and SS usually get drafted well.

There are more pitchers that get drafted, so more than likely that is where the breakdown should be.  Also, is this just for D1, or all divisions? 

As far as leverage, I agree with what has been said.  Truth is that if you are that good or as mentioned a beast, you more than likely have been seen and interviewed by most of the teams.  With that, you will have lots of leverage. If one or two scouts have seen you,  you have less to use in leverage.

More than likely, an advisor can better answer those questions.