Skip to main content

Reply to "When do you celebrate?"

My son graduated in three years with two years of eligibility remaining. He missed freshman year with injury e when entering college. His plan up front was if not drafted in the first twenty rounds (forty then) he would stay, play and get his MBA. He had no intention of being Single A roster filler.

He was playing his conference tournament graduation weekend. He didn’t care. His view was he either about to be drafted and signed or he had two more years. The non athlete friends he entered with weren’t graduating. His best friends were the team. He was with them.

He has a five years older sister. She worked in a law firm before going to law school. His MBA graduation and her law school graduation were a week apart. We did it up. Everyone in the family was at both graduations. His was first. Grandpa, my son  and I hung out a few days at son’s place and golfed. Then we headed for daughter’s graduation six hundred miles away. We rented a room at a restaurant and invited more people since this was “home” and she was married. We celebrated both of them. Then we aired out.

I asked my son what he was going to do that summer. He told me he was going to the beach, drink beer and party. He said in more lucid moments he would draft a business plan for getting a job in the fall. What he was concealing was he was two interviews from an awesome job where he had interned the previous summer.*

* Coach wasn’t pleased where he asked to be placed in summer ball so he could commute from the job. Surgery eliminated summer ball and the issue.