Skip to main content

Reply to "When do you know?"

Originally Posted by SluggerDad:

And you should know,  Dadof3 that Justbaseball's two sons have gone very far in baseball indeed.  But I suspect he's also being a little modest about the two of them.  They were both well known as young studs in these parts.   

Thats awfully kind of you - but I always thought there were better players around us.  And certainly there were.

Kind of an interesting story thats relevant I think.  When our younger son was going to enter HS, we decided to send him to one of the local private schools that had a good coach, AD, etc...  No, not so he could play college ball.  Just wanted a good HS experience.  But I was concerned he wasn't good enough to play at one of those schools, so I started asking the coaches of 2 schools (I knew both) in particular (SluggerDad surely knows which 2).

Coach A would not only answer, but follow up with an email, phone call...letter in the mail.  The message was basically, "Your boy is a superstar and we want him at our school really bad!"  He even told him on a shadow day that as a local neighborhood kid he was a critical player for them to get.

Coach B would never answer.  Or not in a way I easily understood.  He'd say, "Your son will probably be fine wherever he goes.  Just make sure he has fun."  This caused me some concern - as in, does he think he's borderline?  Why is Coach A calling him a superstar when Coach B barely answers?

Son went to Coach B's school (20 minute drive instead of 10 minute walk)...cause I thought he was a better coach and I liked the composition of the student body better - more "linear" from poor kids to rich kids and more diverse.  Even though I wasn't sure what the coach thought of him.  Ended up being perhaps the best decision we ever made for any of our kids as parents.  Tremendous coaching staff - our son's team won everything his junior season and ranked #1 in the nation by PG.  And son made varsity as a sophomore and played a whole, whole lot.

But I did, indeed wonder leading up to it.

Oh - and why didn't Coach B ever really answer my questions?  Cause he wasn't allowed too by rule and he played by the rules (I didn't even know that at the time) - yet another great lesson in good ethical behavior that helped our son to have terrific reinforcement in HS that complemented what we were teaching at home.  Honestly, integrity...hard work...nothing guaranteed.

Last edited by justbaseball