Skip to main content

Reply to "When do you know?"

That post by Kyle says it all for me. I wanted my son's to play as long as it was fun for them. Understanding that if you want to get the fun out you better be willing to put the work in. And finding out that the work ends up being part of the fun part as well. But I never wanted to be that Dad. The one that was driving it. The one that pushed his kids to the point that he had no relationship with them once the games were done. I wanted my kids to know I cared about them not about what they did. All I ever asked is if they were going to do something that they do it to the very best of their ability or find something that they wanted to do that with.

I had a rule. Never, ever, ever have a job. Have a passion. Don't get up every day of your life hating what you have to do to make a living. Get up every day of your life excited about what you are going to be doing that day. Find a passion. Something you love. Something that you can do every day and someone will be crazy enough to pay you for it. If that means drive a bus - Dude Awesome! If that means cut grass - YES! You mean you are happy and enjoy what you do for a living? That ain't no job.

So they both do that. One is a college baseball coach who absolutely is living his dream. The other builds stone patio's outdoor kitchen's etc - and absolutely loves it. Push them? Yep. Push them to understand that the only thing that matters is that they find something they love to do. And then go for it. Don't settle for anything less. Maybe I am off topic a bit. Kyle's post fired me up. Kyle great post.