Skip to main content

Reply to "When do you know?"

Originally Posted by Dadof3:

Just reading some of these blogs and some sound really fun and rewarding.  When did you all know that your son was good enough to play HS and college?  I took my 10 year old to the HS game a week or two ago and was talking with his buddy's dad about how cool it would be to see our sons on that field some day.  I can not even imagine what it would be like to watch them play in an elite tournament or college or showcase or what not.  I am not saying my son is good enough to do those things, but I would like to think he has the potential.

Watching him play a high level of travel baseball, I knew he'd make the high school team. The question was would he make the HS JV team in 8th grade (very few) or 9th grade and which high school would he go to.  Our county offers academic specialty centers.

College baseball is a little trickier.  We really didn't know until his travel coach was being contacted by college recruiters late in his sophomore year.  My wife and I thought he could play college baseball but we kept that to ourselves because it wasn't up to us.  We saw extraordinary talent on his national travel team and other teams that we played.  We thought he could compete at some level in college.   We provided the opportunity and let nature (some good grades and a lot of luck) take its course....and it did. 

If your son is 10 today and wants to play HS/College baseball then develop a path for him to develop and succeed.  I've been through this 3 times with my sons all with different skills, motivations and passion for baseball.  If your son has that "drive" and passion to get better at baseball, help him get there at his pace.   JMO.  Good luck.