Skip to main content

Reply to "When do you know?"

I posted about my kids when the thread started eight years ago. A new posted reminded me of something I haven’t posted.

I don’t know if USA Today Top 25 high school rankings is a thing or matters anymore. It did when my son was eleven nineteen years ago. I noticed the coach of a USA Today Top 25 private high school watching our LL game. I asked my assistant what the coach was doing here. My assistant had played at that school. He went on to play in the SEC and made it to AAA.

My assistant explained he told the coach we have a kid with a high school level baseball IQ who is real athletic. I thought he was talking about one of our 12yos  who ultimately went to that school and on to pitch at a P5. He was talking about my son. When someone who knows the game starts talking about your son is when you know. I know the game. But I was always looking at my son’s flaws to improve them. It’s hard to be objective about your own kid.  

His 13u travel team did a tournament hosted by the Top 25. My son excelled at short and center. He was invited free of charge to a late winter “baseball tune up” clinic the next three years in an attempt to recruit him.

Want to know a little secret about nationally ranked high school programs? Many of their seniors are nineteen. This private wanted an all A student to repeat a year when entering. No thanks.

Last edited by RJM