Skip to main content

Reply to "When does contact begin."

Originally Posted by Baseball-Dad:

Thanks all. This is very informative and helpful. I probably did a poor job of phrasing the question. I have always heard that pitchers are first in line for college offers and that colleges build their recruiting class around the pitchers they offer. I have noticed though that theD1 colleges in our are tend to offer the position players in the middle if the diamond in the summer before or fall of their sophomore year and that the pitchers are offered in the fall of their junior year or the summer after their junior year. I was wondering if that is the norm. It appears they are watching my son and talking to his coach but nothing more so I was curious if that is the norm.

Thanks everyone!

Having just gone through this with 2016 son and watching his teammates I would say that your timelines for the pitchers is pretty spot on.  All 4 D1 guys on his team were committed prior to junior year.  One as freshman who is PG AA.  Another fall of sophomore year (been to Jr National and National) and two right before junior years.  

Position players seem to be all over the board.  I have seen lots go early but I have seen three of the best not go until this summer as rising seniors.  One going to a perennial top 10 program in our area, one to a mid major close by with very large offer and another to a good school in CA on a 100% deal (yes they do exist and i couldn't hardly believe it myself)

As has been stated many times.  Lots and lots of kids don't commit or get offered until summer as a rising senior.  Number of college coaches at WWBA this summer looking at 2016s has to be seen to believe.