Skip to main content

Reply to "When Does One See The Writing On The Wall?"

fenwaysouth posted:

Interesting post.  This is hypothetical for me.  If your son's passion and dream is to play in the MLB then why not pursue that with abandon, and not doubt it.  If your son is healthy that is a lot of it.  I have a neighbor's son who played in the MLB and AAA (back and forth)  for a few years after a great college career.   This year he wasn't re-signed by that MLB team, so he's headed overseas to play in Asia because he wants to continue that professional dream.   Instead of asking why, it should be why not if that is what he wants to do.  After talking to him over a few beers a couple years ago, he told me there is a lot of luck involved as well.   I understood that to be that you have to be healthy, put yourself in a position to be lucky, then be lucky to play baseball professionally.

As always, JMO. 

Thanks for the input.  Maybe I came across the wrong way.  I and wife fully support him, am excited with the ride thus far, enjoying the publicity and support from his MLB team, and all.  I was interested in the advice what signs to look out for since son will probably go on until physically he is unable to.   Interested in how other parents handled their son's careers, if they saw signs maybe it's time,  if they left it all up to son to make the decision even if that meant a few additional years of hardship/disappointment.  Both Keewart and you brought up valid points, thanks.  If you ever talk to your neighbor it would be interesting how his son decided to give it up after bouncing between AAA/MLB.