Skip to main content

Reply to "When is it finally time to talk to the coach?"

TPM posted:

I have to agree with bacdor and GOV, and I understand this is not his HS coach a travel coach and my understanding  he also is a dad coach.

Sometimes I get a bit confused. Your son is a catcher, pitcher and 3rd basemen yet you have concerns that the coach might pitch him one game and have him catch the next?  And you are upset that he caught to all the pitchers the other night and afraid his knees were weak?  But you think maybe that you should have a talk with him, about what? Isn't this what he signed up for?  So instead of going to speak to the coach, wouldn't it be better to sit down with your son and discuss better options or solutions beforehand so you or your son wont have to have that conversation.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I just don't get it sometimes, player wants to play all positions that can cause issues later on but parents want the player to play on their terms?

That's not how it works, no matter at what level you play at.

JMO

Son wants to be a third baseman. He plays where coaches need/put him. We have other kids who can do third, not as many choices for catching and pitching. Went into the team with two catchers, my son and one other, who shows up late, has a bad attitude, and when he is there, coach doesn't like to play him. That's between the coach and that boy, but its putting more pressure on my son to do more.

And yes, he signed up for that.

We talk a lot to my son. I'm trying to decide the best option of how to advise him and then when I should get involved.

I got on this site because I'm a mom who knows NOTHING about sports, except what I've learned over the last 10 years of son playing baseball.

It's good to hear lots of voices on topics, and take some things from roothog, some from TPM and still more from Gov and others. I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll take some, ignore some and in the end work with my son to make the best decision for him.