Skip to main content

Reply to "When is it finally time to talk to the coach?"

Elijah posted:

Agree with CABBAGEDAD. Perfect wording. This particular issue is when the player might need an advocate. If the player felt comfortable with handling the issue, that would be my first choice, but I wonder how many coaches would hear those words in the intended way from a player. 

Great question and I think this is where that middle ground of what myself and Cabbagedad are talking about.  Give the kid the first shot (with parental guidance) but if it's not listened to then parents step in.  Speaking as a coach I want my kids to have these conversations with me.  Look I'll know my kids and I'll know which ones are holding back info wanting to play, I'll know which ones are being truthful and I'll know which ones are not pushing themselves enough.  End of the day I'm going to error on the side of caution in case I'm not sure.  But these things only happen if you develop a relationship and trust with your kids.  Now, not all coaches are like this and someone needs to step in someway, somehow.