Skip to main content

Reply to "When is it finally time to talk to the coach?"

coach2709 posted:

I'll be honest I'm pretty proud of all the likes.  Makes me feel like I'm not a big dummy lol.  Just so everyone knows I have the utmost respect for Cabbagedad and believe if you read something he posts you will be better for it.  I understand totally where he's coming from and he makes a very valid point about kids want to be out there and don't realize when the tune it down.  I totally understand where he's coming from.

But (there always is one) - when does this kid finally learn when to take into consideration of factoring in his own health and making these decisions?  Honestly, I think the answer probably lies in the middle of what each of us said.  I strongly believe these kids need to learn to stand up on their own two feet but when it comes to health mom and dad need to have the say in this.  I'm not 100% sure what that middle answer would be but I think both teaching the kid to stand up for himself and parents making sure health is taken care of can co-exist.

There are MANY MANY MANY kids today that don't understand the distinction between standing up for yourself and just being rude and disrespectful to an adult.  If you send your child into the lions den to talk with the coach make sure you gave him a shield. 

Every now and then my 8th grader still pops his head in the door to my office, says a statement and then says "Rude, or okay?"  Usually I say it's okay, but there have been a few times where my response was "You had better be practicing what to say to a friend and not an adult" in which case he pops his entire body into the office tells me the situation and we talk through responses that sound like him but still sound respectful.