Skip to main content

Reply to "When is it finally time to talk to the coach?"

My son is pretty careful about coaches he does't know well, like his spring coach. But his high school varsity coach is a whole different thing--son texts him all the time with questions, looking for input on recruiting, weights, workouts etc., and he usually gets answers.

Our school was looking for a pitching coach. Son texted varsity coach and suggested a guy everyone knew, who had played minor league and given lessons to about every player on the team, but no one had thought about him taking an official role. He not only suggested it to his varsity coach, he suggested it to the guy and to the guy's mother.

They ended up deciding the guy is more valuable to the team being able to coach kids in the off season, but it was fun to see a 16-year-old offer up an idea that no one had thought of before, and have it taken seriously.

I think son's "if I need to play left bench to help the team win, I will be the best left bench you've ever seen" attitude has a lot to do with the respect the adults give him. Those relationships are earned, and not every coach is open to them. We're lucky to have found one who is.