Skip to main content

Reply to "When is it time to move onto..."

Originally Posted by Passion4baseball:

When is time to move onto another high school baseball program?  When do you get to the point where all you want is a chance to get to a state tournament, but you know the players you get at your high school might not ever be good enough ... 

My core beliefs when it comes to coaching are simply teaching the kids how to play the game the right way, making sure they are doing well in the classroom and doing well in the community, ...

Personally, I like what you have listed as your core beliefs. I believe it's time to move on when you are no longer reaching the kids and not accomplishing those primary goals.  But the rest of your statements bring into question what your primary goals actually are, which is OK.  Everyone is different.

You mentioned you got stopped by a kid throwing low 90's.  Winning on a state level will require that your players are able to make things happen when the opposing pitching level is very strong.  Are you preparing your players on a daily basis to do so or are you just preparing them to succeed against local "OK" competition? 

Are you making a difference in these boys' lives on and off the field?  If you move on to a school with more talented kids who are more capable of winning a state title, what kind of difference will you be able to make with them?  What is your true passion?

Another question... some of your recent posts have questioned the value of fall ball.  But this post indidcates that your players are not good enough to achieve lofty goals.  Wouldn't they need to play as much as possible to get there?

Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to help you think everything through and connect the dots.

We inherited a group that was terrible on the field and had no pride in the program.  The previous coach came from an environment where he could acquire talent... no real development needed.  We had to start from ground zero and build, readjusting goals as they improved and started to believe in themselves.  There is now pride in the program and annual playoff runs are expected.  Just as important, for me anyway, is the fact that the players come away from the program having been influenced in a positive manner.  We're getting close to that ring but it has become clear to me that the ring will not be the big differentiator between those who have successfully played in our program.

Last edited by cabbagedad