Skip to main content

Reply to "When the Slot becomes the Bail-Out"

All umpires know the best view of the strike zone is from the parents behind the fence  - talk about being scared of the ball .  The second best view comes from the dugout and coaches box.  The guy in the picture above beyond awful footwork, has one arm behind his back - so yeah, he probably has been hit before. Since both have jackets, it's Colorado, and the grass doesn't appear to have woken up from winter yet I'll assume it's perhaps bit chilly. Getting hit by a ball on a cold day is miserable. 

If you've never been hit by a fastball that the catcher "misses" or a fouled off ball off an oh sh*t check swing at a high inside pitch, then you should feel fortunate.  They leave bruises for weeks. Some umpires even get concussions. One old timer told me of a 90+mph FB that the catcher set up outside to catch but the pitcher delivered inside in hit him square in the chest protector and knocked him back a bit. Needed some 'recovery time' in order to make sure everything was "in order". Even with equipment - it's not "enjoyable". I got one like that a couple weeks ago on an 78-83MPH FB on my left forearm, RH batter (think about it - pitch missed by at least 2'). It's still bruised.

The following is an "interesting" foul ball spray chart for where umpires get hit depending on where they line up in the slot compared to where the catcher lines up. It also defines where you really get the best look at pitches.

No automatic alt text available.