Skip to main content

Reply to "When to Email Coaches"

OskiSD posted:
Baseballcomesthird posted:

I live in Massachusetts. I would like to go to a school in the northeast. I am looking at schools in the NEC, America East, NE-10, MAAC, and Nescac

Draw a large box with nine equal boxes inside - 3 rows, 3 columns.  Top of each column, left to right: safety, then match, then stretch.  Same for the rows, going top to bottom: safety, match, stretch.  You'll have nine boxes to populate - upper left corner would include schools that to the best of your knowledge are 'safeties' from both an admissions and academic perspective.  Lower right corner are stretches from both perspectives, e.g., when I started this for my California son Stanford was in the lower right corner (Pac 12 power program, incredibly hard to get into).  Let location, affordability, other considerations gate which schools you evaluate and use to populate your field.  

As you progress on the field and in the classroom, and as you get (or don't get) positive feedback from coaches you can adjust which boxes the schools occupy.  Objective is to match with a school that's in your center square and a fit for both school and baseball.  

I've found this is a useful exercise to getting your arms around the process.  

Gah - I wasn't clear.  Horizontal axis is baseball, vertical axis is academics.  Upper left are safeties for both baseball and school; lower left stretches for both.  Should have just drawn it :-)