Skip to main content

Reply to "When to position specialize?"

Thank you all for the advice.  We’re doing everything you all mentioned.  We or he has been to 5 UT games this season.  I see the same thing you see in the video… a tallish kid looking to play a game with men in a couple of years.  I’m 5’9” so everyone is tall to me.  

My son is focused gaining weight but it has been a challenge.  Tried to go it on our own but it hasn’t gone as well as we had hoped.  A couple of weeks back I set him up with a nutritionist that is assisting him on that front.  The plan is to roll into summer ball at 160.  Fingers crossed.   I’m also aware of where he stands on metrics.  They are solid for a 15 year old but well short of crazy or where he needs to be to turn heads and get recruiting attention.  No plans for showcases this summer but we’re planning putting together tape and establishing contact with some lower level programs that might be a fit.  

For the above reasons we opted for his class over the summer, 2024.  His travel program they are playing all PG’s here in Florida and Georgia so the competition will be tough even in his class.  He will jump to 2023/17U next summer.  His HS competition is pretty tough.  We’ve already played IMG and Calvary for those of you that still follow the nationally ranked teams.  Played several big programs out of Tampa that have several D1 commits too.  He has started every game and has hit mostly in the lead off spot followed by three seniors.  

He does not pitch for his HS.  His current coach is not a fan of position players pitching.  He will likely pitch next season for the school as it sounds like his current HC is retiring.  This summer he’s C1 and will catch every other game.  On days he doesn’t  catch, he’ll be in the OF and come in to close on the mound.  

@TerribleBPthrower  40lbs is pretty amazing.  Good for you and your son.  I’d be thrilled with half of that.  My hat goes off to you both.  I’m going to DM you for the details if you don’t mind.  If his frame is similar to my sons, I’d like to know how his knees have been.  In addition to his regular catching coach, my son worked this off season with a D1 guy that was in the CWS last year and I asked him about the weight stuff.  Played at 205, but dropped down to the 190’s because it was taking a toll on him.    

@PABaseball  Thank you.  I see the potential otherwise I personally wouldn’t devote the time, energy and money that I do, but I’m fully aware of the challenges.  Young for his class and undersized is not the ideal starting point.  The thought has just crossed my mind that he might be fighting a loosing battle because of his size and should focus his energy on a position that is a more likely physical fit.  It seems like the best plan is to give it another year and see if the weight room is truly his friend and let some of the others around us be our guide.  I’m actually pretty critical internally of my son and try to give him opportunities to improve.  

@Consultant  The Rays facility is a bit of a hike for us but the Phillies are right down the road.  Pitching will be limited to a relief role on different days, but that also goes back to my question of when you should shut down certain positions and focus energy on growing those other skills.  I’m thinking, the body of a MI and maybe pitcher, then why are we spending time on catching?  The reason is because he loves it. I’m sure that he loves playing the game more, but at some point we’re going to have to figure it out.  

It seems like you’re pretty connected.  If you know of anyone in Florida that does legitimate evaluations, please pass them along via DM if you are willing.  

@RJM He’s hitting so he’s not sitting.  In fall for his former school, my son was in the same situation.  Caught a little, but would take the spot of whoever was pitching.  Former team had a history of overusing arms and regularly had his other catcher pitch and catch in the same game.  Needless to say, he wasn’t going to pitch for them.  Congrats to you and your son.  Sounds like all that bouncing around worked out in the end.  

@anotherparent I was uninformed and a little too trusting with my sons arm in the past.  Pitched a ton when he was younger Led to OCD and surgery in 2020.  He was throwing 60+ for strikes at 10 so you can guess he was in high demand.  I was just a dumb baseball dad back then.  I still feel horrible for allowing that to happen.  Had to learn that one the hardest of ways.  We keep a close eye on pitches and overuse.  Arm care is absolutely a priority now.  Thank you for the guidance.