Skip to main content

Reply to "When to Start"

Everything Cabbage said. But to add...

Before you email anybody or send videos, you have to establish whether he is a prospect or not. None of that is going to happen as an 8th grader or even a 9th grader unless he is one of the top 50 or so players in the country, which I'm sure you would know by now. I would say that until he is very much ahead of other players (teammates, competition, etc) or at the same level as players who are starting to be recruited, he is not a prospect yet. On top of that you have to see how talented he is. That is the most important part. Can he play in the Big 12 or is he more suited for small D3 schools? 

For now I would say find a reputable travel organization that has a history of sending players to colleges and tryout. If you already have one, great. Starting next year I would start tracking his pitching velocity, his exit velo, his IF/OF velo, and his 60 time. See how those numbers are and report back. If he is only throwing 77 and runs a 7.6, he does not need to be emailing anybody or attending any showcases. I'm sure you will get some advice about the value of showcasing early, but the truth is if there is nothing to showcase you are wasting money. 

There are obviously exceptions, but for the most part: 

D1 Recruits 

P5 - Freshman - Junior Year 

Top Mid Majors- Soph-Junior Year 

The Rest: Junior- September of Senior Year. 

D2/D3/JUCO- Junior year- Nov of Senior Year

Last edited by PABaseball