Skip to main content

Reply to "When to start social media stuff as a HS Freshman?"

@PitchingFan posted:

The social media presence is different for each player and the pond they should be fishing in (what size school they should be going to).  A top P5 recruit does not need to post any social media because he is getting plenty of interest without doing anything  and has plenty to re-tweet.  The small school kid does not need social media because those coaches are so busy doing other stuff to earn a salary that they don't have time to read social media.  The ones who need social media are the ones that should be reaching out to mid-major schools and those are the ones who struggle having anything from credible sources to re-tweet.

Just talked to a coach who said he does not read social media rarely unless it is from another coach or one of the major sources.

He also said you should never tag anyone.  Wow this was eye opening.  He said if you tag me and I'm not first on your tag list then I write you off because I assume you tag in your order of preference.  If I am last on your tag list then I was an after thought or last on your wish list.  If I'm not first I'm last so I don't want to be your backup plan.  That was crazy.  Never thought of it that way.  What a wake up call.

I agree with a lot of this. The P5 commits I know have an extremely small social media presence. They've been verbally committed for awhile and they have no need for marketing.

The ones I know that committed to small schools also didn't have much of a social media presence. They basically expressed interest directly to the baseball coach, then the HS/travel coach vouched for them, and they were offered a spot if the team's needs aligned with what the player had to offer. Also, especially if the student was willing to pay the expenses to attend the school.

My son had an opportunity to face collegiate pitchers during his fall season. There's no way those collegiate programs would ever tweet about a high schooler hitting off their pitching. His travel organization tweeted some, but I also think they had to keep it to a minimum, so they'd be welcomed back to play the following years.

Do Juco coaches keep an eye on social media?