Skip to main content

Reply to "When was everyone really good?"

my son has played local most of his life.  there's been a mix of good and not so good players on every team but he was always the best or one of the best players.  at 13/14u, he got on to his current team which was hand picked and everyone was solid.  this lasted a year or so before kids started drifting away to football or other teams.  now, there's a core of 7 or so kids who are fantastic (local level fantastic, not national level fantastic) and the rest are competent.  

this past October, he had the opportunity to play with Team Hawaii at the Arizona Fall Classic.  because of covid, they hadn't practiced at all and hardly anyone knew anyone else (it was a team built for this event and selected through tryouts around the state so the only ones who knew other players were the ones who came from the same high schools).  my son was lucky enough to have a dad who played for and remains good friends with the coach of the team.

after a very rough first game (remember, these kids hadn't played a live game at all most of the summer and fall), their innate talent clicked in and that team was something to see. everyone was a dude.  catchers (two of them) who run 6.7.  165 lb ss who short hopped the cf fence at a spring training stadium.  3b with a 100 tee exit velo.  my son played well but the experience was eye opening for him.  it was a great experience and has lit a fire under his butt.