Skip to main content

Reply to "When was everyone really good?"

Wow.  Yeah, my son has been playing travel ball since age 7 and he's never once been on a team where everyone was good.  Not for baseball, basketball or football.  But one year (U10?) he was on a travel soccer team that had that.  I had never seen anything else like it before or since.  It hit me all at once one day while at a game.  No matter which player was subbed into the game, I was always comfortable.  I never once found myself thinking "why did they put player X in right now?"  Whoever came in and whenever it happened, it was never the wrong decision from my perspective.  Playing time was pretty equal.  There was almost no drop off from the best kid on the team to the "worst."  It was remarkable and I can't imagine ever seeing it again, but I'd love to be wrong.

It's not the case that my son hasn't played with exceptional talent.  I just did an on the spot, quick list in my head.  In less than a minute, I was able to count 25 guys he's played with who are committed to solid or better college programs as of today (2021s and 2022s).  Many D1s, a couple D2s, lots of strong JUCOs and a few NAIA's sprinkled in.  LOTS of talent here in the midwest, but there are far too many teams (and orgs willing to cash your checks) to find teams like you're talking about.  Contraction is needed badly around here.